Sweet & Sour Peppers & Pineapple Pork Chops
Sweet & Sour Peppers & Pineapple
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 boneless pork chops, approximately 1/2” thick
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. real maple syrup
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 t. dried rosemary, chopped
½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
2 c. fresh pineapple chunks
3 large green onions, diced
¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and sear on both sides, approximately 1-2 minutes per side. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, on each side while cooking.
- Remove from heat and transfer the browned pork chops to the prepared baking sheet. Place in the pre-heated oven to roast until cooked through, approximately 12-15 minutes.
Tip: Check for doneness after 10 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly. (An instant-read thermometer inserted at the thickest point should read 140°F when ready. The internal temperature will continue to rise another 5°F while the pork chops rest).
- Once the pork chops are in the oven, combine the vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, rosemary, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, approximately 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining olive oil and the sliced peppers to the skillet used to sear the chops and place over medium-high heat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until the peppers soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and continue cooking until heated through approximately 2-3 minutes. Stir in the green onion and parsley, and remove from heat.
- Remove pork chops from the oven. Cover loosely and let rest for 5 minutes. To serve, pour the glaze over the pork chops and serve alongside the peppers and pineapple.